Xuups
Get an account!     Login

Utilities

Main menu

Who's Online

10 user(s) are online (4 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 10

more...

Get Xoops

Support Xuups Project

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: New publisher module
From Portugal
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
AEIOU, thanks!
I have added your fixes and take the opportunity to update class "about" (now using template) and adding credits for all of those who are helping creating this mod. If I forget someone please shout.

About SVN, it seems simple, I'm also using this for first time, I guess we all are! If you want some tips and/or SVN access just say.

About your request, I really want to add options for everything that is displayed, maybe I'll use a permission setting has I did for forms. This way admin can choose who can see what in a article.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 20:04

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
tnx TRABIS!
urban

Posted on: 2009/2/26 13:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Is option for import from smart section 2.14 in progress? :)

Posted on: 2009/3/3 23:54

From Portugal
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
HI! I'm not worried with the importers now because I do not know how 'Publisher' will end up. I think there will be other changes in database so, does not make sense working on it now to redo it latter. I'll try to make a better import for smartsection so we can get everything from it (comments, permissions, etc).

Ps: I'm back again :)

Posted on: 2009/3/4 0:37

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Publisher feedback report #1:

Background: I normally post small news items of a few lines and maybe a YouTube embed for my site. I only use the PREVIEW section of SmartSection/Publisher with an empty BODY section. I do this because I normally want the whole article read on the front page without any need to flip to another page to read the rest. And I do occasionally have longer articles so I definitely want to retain the BODY functionality.

Problem: However, in the latest Publisher (downloaded from SVN 3/3/07 5:57PST) I find that all articles that I edit or create from scratch now require a BODY section.

If I leave PREVIEW blank, then the article will not appear in the Spotlight block.

So, I now have to post the same text in both PREVIEW and BODY so that I can take advantage of the Spotlight and also satisfy the new requirement to have a non-blank BODY.

Any chance to revert to not requiring a BODY?

Posted on: 2009/3/4 2:56

From Portugal
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Let me see,

You want to use only the summary field because this is the one that displays in spotlight block and leave the body empty.

I agree that we should have the option to show the entire article content in blocks and listings such as index page.

One option is to ask webmaster which fields should be required. The other one is to add "form permissions" to body and then, auto choose from body or summary depending of the one that is being used.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 13:23

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Exactly. I like your options.

We're in beta so everything is fluid. But eventually mandatory fields need to be flagged. And currently the words introduction and summary are used to describe the same thing -- we need to pick one.

Another option:

1) Have Publisher automatically create an intro as the default. The number of characters could be specified in the preferences for uniformity.

1a) Include an intro box similar to the current meta description that is empty initially, can be used by the author/editor as an override to the auto-intro, and which fills in with the default if you edit the article just like meta description does currently. Make sure to allow html/smarty code in the auto-intro so links, smilies, etc are shown properly.

1b) Display the intro in the Spotlight since it will always be auto-filled or manually created. If the author/editor makes manually changes the intro, it should override the truncation noted in (1).

Another direction that isn't as flexible but it might spark other ideas:

2) Looking at the current body, you can split articles over several pages using [pagewrap]. Maybe have just a body and add an [intro][/intro] functionality? Display the [intro] in the Spotlight if it exists; display the body truncated to 'x' number of characters if it doesn't.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 17:41

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Moving on to TAGS.

One of the things that I really like about WordPress is their well developed tagging functionality for news posts. In a nutshell, you can of course enter tags like we do now (comma delimited field). But you also have a list of the top 10-20 tags that are clickable that you can choose from -- chances are good that some of those tags will be chosen. Another WordPress add-on can auto-choose tags for words contained in the post which you then click on to confirm.

Basically, they try to make existing tags visible and accessible so you don't create multiple similar tags and can quickly add tags with prompting so you don't have to think too much.

Moving on to SPOTLIGHT.

Another feature that was super spiffy that I ran across in my experiments with WordPress was the ability to put specific articles in the Spotlight by simply adding a tag of "hotnews" or something like that. This would be VERY nice to include as it allows you to spotlight an article without having to go off to take the extra step of editing the block. When you want to remove it from the spotlight, you delete the tag from the article.

You could also add a checkbox to the article asking "Display in Spotlight?" which is probably a better implementation. If you choose this route, there needs to be a visual indication on the article summary page in the admin section to show editors which articles are being spotlighted.

Anything that can make writing, editing and publishing news posts a simple thing to do in one location would be helpful.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 18:20

From Portugal
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
AEIOU, your sugestions are very good and I'll try to add them to publisher ASAP! Auto creation of summary is very nice, then we could add an option of using summary or body(truncated or not) in listings(index.php) and same options for each block. I say this because some users just want to write the body or summary and forget the rest.

Example: In a poetry site you not need summary and you want poems to show completely in listings.

In other modules we use the summary and let the body(extended scope in news) empty to achieve this. I think we should do the oposite. We should use body as required, then use summary as an optional feature.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 18:55

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
While trying to track down an array issue in CBB4, I had debug on and got the following while in the admin section. Just posting since it's only errors I got there. Dunno if it's relevant.

Errors
Notice
: Use of undefined constant _AM_SOBJECT_ABOUT assumed '_AM_SOBJECT_ABOUT' in file /modules/smartobject/admin/menu.php line 56
Notice
: Use of undefined constant SMARTOBJECT_URL assumed 'SMARTOBJECT_URL' in file /modules/smartobject/admin/menu.php line 57
Notice
: Use of undefined constant _AM_PUBLISHER_BLOCKS assumed '_AM_PUBLISHER_BLOCKS' in file /modules/publisher/admin/menu.php line 41
Notice
: Use of undefined constant _AM_PUBLISHER_COMMENTS assumed '_AM_PUBLISHER_COMMENTS' in file /modules/publisher/admin/menu.php line 45
Notice
: Use of undefined constant _AM_PUBLISHER_GOMOD assumed '_AM_PUBLISHER_GOMOD' in file /modules/publisher/admin/menu.php line 49
Notice
: Use of undefined constant PUBLISHER_URL assumed 'PUBLISHER_URL' in file /modules/publisher/admin/menu.php line 50
Notice
: Use of undefined constant _AM_PUBLISHER_UPDATE_MODULE assumed '_AM_PUBLISHER_UPDATE_MODULE' in file /modules/publisher/admin/menu.php line 53
Notice
: Use of undefined constant _AM_PUBLISHER_IMPORT assumed '_AM_PUBLISHER_IMPORT' in file /modules/publisher/admin/menu.php line 57
Notice
: Use of undefined constant PUBLISHER_URL assumed 'PUBLISHER_URL' in file /modules/publisher/admin/menu.php line 58
Notice
: Use of undefined constant _AM_PUBLISHER_CLONE assumed '_AM_PUBLISHER_CLONE' in file /modules/publisher/admin/menu.php line 61
Notice
: Use of undefined constant PUBLISHER_URL assumed 'PUBLISHER_URL' in file /modules/publisher/admin/menu.php line 62
Notice
: Use of undefined constant _AM_PUBLISHER_ABOUT assumed '_AM_PUBLISHER_ABOUT' in file /modules/publisher/admin/menu.php line 65
Notice
: Use of undefined constant PUBLISHER_URL assumed 'PUBLISHER_URL' in file /modules/publisher/admin/menu.php line 66

Posted on: 2009/3/5 5:11

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.